What to Expect
HPC Cluster Engineer Academy interns have access to LLNL’s top scientists and facilities. The curriculum begins with the basics of shell scripting, distributed version control software, and compiling/porting software before moving on to system installation, networking, security, file systems, and other topics of paramount importance to HPC centers.
Every day of the internship brings something new. Lectures led by HPC experts will give you the confidence to apply cluster engineering principles and ideas to real hardware and software. You’ll join forces with teammates to build up a cluster and tackle a distributed software project on that cluster. At the end of the summer, you and your HPC Academy peers will present what you’ve learned and receive valuable feedback.
At the HPC Academy you’ll learn from the best engineers in the field and work at a state-of-the-art computation facility. Mentors are on hand to guide each team through project work and other activities. You’ll come away from the summer with lasting professional connections with mentors and other LLNL staff.
The HPC Academy emphasizes
- Teamwork – Collaborate with peers and staff on hands-on projects
- Responsibility – Discover what it takes to set up and manage computer systems
- Experience – Gain marketable engineering skills for your résumé
- Opportunity – Grow your academic network and learn about future career paths
- Fun – Meet people with similar interests and new ideas